Helping Difficult and
A Cognitive-Behavioral Approach
Aldo R. Pucci, MA, DCBT
in collaboration with
Cross Country Education, Inc.
Coming to a city near you...
September 13 -- Colorado Springs,
September 14 -- Denver, CO
September 15 -- St. Lake City, UT
Interested in the NACBT presenting
Understanding and Helping the Difficult Client
All mental health professionals encounter from time to time
clients whom they consider "difficult" or
"challenging". Therapy does not progress as quickly as
we would like for the client (and for us!). Good clinicians
continually look for new methods to get through to difficult
clients in the shortest amount of time possible.
To help difficult clients, the clinician must first
understand them. This seminar will further your understanding of
the reasons clients are difficult and challenging by presenting
the reasons, from a cognitive-behavioral perspective, for
less-than-ideal response to therapy. You will learn how to
separate excuses from reasons, and how to dispute the most
stubborn thoughts that keep people from developing healthy,
rational thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
This seminar will teach you how to apply cognitive-behavioral
therapy to your most difficult cases. You will also learn how to
keep yourself from being frustrated when client’s are
difficult and challenging.
The presenter welcomes attendees to consult with him
concerning the application of his approach at any time after the
completing the seminar.
CEU’s available for counselors,
psychologists, social workers, and alcoholism and drug abuse
To register, or for more information,
contact Cross Country Education at:
If you would like this seminar to be presented in your area,
contact Aldo Pucci at 1-800-853-1135.
Reasons Clients are Difficult and / or Resist
– In-depth presentation of the reasons people have
difficulty benefiting from therapy or resist change.
– How to Identify Your Clients’ Reasons for Resisting or
Having Difficulty Benefiting from Psychotherapy
– How to Help Clients Identify their Reasons for Resistance
The Systematic Cognitive-Behavioral Approach to Dealing with
- The Initial Assessment
- Assessing Problematic Thinking
- Setting Goals
- How to engage the client to commit to therapy and homework
- Conversational hypnosis techniques that help set the
stage for therapeutic success
- The Emotional ABC’s and Reflex Thoughts
- Teach Clients the CBT Theory of Emotional / Behavioral
– How to Identify Pervasive Core Beliefs and How
Eliminating Them Significantly Facilitates Progress
- The Rational Questions to Identify Irrational Thoughts
- Teach Clients to Identify Their Own Irrational Thoughts
- The Common Mental Mistakes and how to eliminate them
- Teach Clients how to recognize and eliminate common mental
- The Importance of, and How to, Practice (Stages of
- Teach Clients a host of excellent techniques to develop new
thoughts and behaviors
- The Rational Action Planner
- Teach clients how to turn their old, undesirable reactions
to new, desirable ones.
- Rational Emotive Hypnotherapy
Rational Emotive Hypnotherapy is another technique to help
people change the way they think through the use of hypnotherapy. While not a necessary part of therapy,
hypnotherapy is utilized because the client does not need to
believe what is said to them when in a hypnotic state for the
suggestions to be effective. An introduction to Rational Emotive
Hypnotherapy will be provided. Learn when to utilize this
– How to End Therapy
– How to encourage long-term, if not permanent, results
Application of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy to Specific
- Suicidal Ideation, Chronic Depression, Severe Anxiety,
Borderline and other
Personality Disorders, and Schizophrenia and other Chronic
Mental Illness Depression - Addressing Attendees’ Additional
Disorders of Interest
Application of CBT Approaches to Attendees’ Case Examples
Would you like the NACBT to present at
your company, hospital, or mental health center?
If you would like the NACBT to
present an in-house training program,
feel free to contact the NACBT at
or e-mail us at
and a representative will be happy to discuss options with you.